Monday 13 August 2007

The same but different.

I had a lovely time.

I did not have to show my arse.

It was a relief.

We stayed in the same flat as we had when we were 18, and played cricket like we did when we were 18 (I did not, I sat in the sun and watched and gossiped and drank wine, occasionally complimenting the boys on their marvellous throwing and such like) and we sat on the beach in the dark like we did when we were 18, and we sang a lot of songs like we did when we were 18.

It was good.

There was less snogging.

In fact, there was no snogging at all.

This was a bit of a shame, but with having a hub and all, I thought it would be bad form. (Hub was at home. Going to beer festivals. And getting so drunk that he fell asleep on the bus and ended up in Croydon. Then fell asleep again and ended up back in town. And finally made it home on his third go. Foolish boy.)

This time, two people had dogs. (One was a puppy. He was really good.)

Next time, some people might have children. (We are doing it again in another ten years. Fingers crossed we will all be alive.)

What was nice and odd and nice was that it has sort of made me feel younger; like re-visiting and re-experiencing that place and the dynamics of that particular group of friends has reminded me a bit of where I came from and who I am.

And as I sat in the sunshine on some oddly spongy grass looking out over the sea yesterday, I realised that I quite like who I have become, and I am *whispers* happy.

It is good.

PS. I have just been informed that I have won a thing! It is exciting. Thank you Anna, and thank you Mike. Gosh, things are all nice.

6 comments:

Caroline said...

Oh sweetie - this is such a beautiful post. So glad you had fun.

Shame you didn't get to show your arse though!

;-)

x

Miss Tickle said...

Thank you Cas. I did try to show my arse, but they all immediately shut their eyes and ran away screaming. Most strange. x

Anonymous said...

Ooh, well done for winning the thing!

Your hol sounds ace. Hurrah for revisiting the holidays of one's youth.

Angela-la-la said...

These things can either make you feel horribly inadequate at what you've achieved in the time between or perfectly happy at where you've got to.

I'm triple chuffed that a) you got the good feeling, b) you didn't have to get your arse out and c) you won the thing!

Anonymous said...

Well done on winning the thing!

How nice to know that you are happy. If this is what it takes. I assume this means that everyone looked older than you did? :)

Miss Tickle said...

Angie, it was definitely the second. Which was ace.

Bohemienne, I couldn't possibly say... Although I do look about 12, so it is not hard for other people to look older than me. Generally.