Saturday 20 January 2007

Make just one someone happy

I think I am addicted to making people happy.

It is dangerous.

The problem with this particular addiction is that if it doesn't work, if you don't make people happy, then you feel like a failure.

Today I feel like a failure.

Boy suffers from the meanest nightmares you can think of. So mean that sometimes he won't tell me about them, that he wakes up at four in the morning too terrified to go back to sleep. So mean that he cries.

I dance and joke and cuddle and smile and stroke and make tea upon tea upon tea (and even coffee sometimes) but he is still sad.

When we got married my promise was that I would try and try and try to make him happy because that is all I want; for him to be happy.

But I don't know how to fight these evil nighttime imaginings. I wish I had a sword and an axe and a bow and arrows - I would cut swathes through them all! Shouting "Ha!" probably.

Oh why can't I be a better wife?

2 comments:

Anxious said...

You must know that his nightmares are not a reflection on you as a wife. It's his mind doing peculiar things. The poor thing - it must be frustrating for you to witness...

My other half has woken up shrieking in terror on a couple of occasions and it's horrible.

(Thanks for the link, by the way)

Miss Tickle said...

Anxious: Thank you, and I know. And in fact me worrying about it will only make it worse. It is horrible though isn't it?

Wish we could have swords...