Sunday 13 May 2007

Hell and hand-carts

Hello.

I can only apologise for my continued absence and poor attendence record. I have been working in Hell and this has rather restricted my actions.

So. Corporate-ness. I really wish someone would explain it to me. It beggars belief, it really does. (Origins of this phrase anyone? Mental note to use more often.)

I was working on a switchboard for a law firm. A tiny room with no natural light and just a computer screen in front of me. No internet access. Answering the phone in only one way. Like this:

"Good morning/afternoon name of law firm"

Person ringing says who they want to speak to.

"Repeat name (with questioning tone of voice) Thank you (non-questioning tone of voice)."

Put person ringing through to aforementioned person they want to speak to.

That was it.

For eight billion days.

Are people robots?

I was meant to be going back this week but I said NO.

I was proud.

So apart from working in Hell with chattering foolish girls (on informing one of them I will be moving to Brighton the answer came "Oh right! Actually, I don't really know where that is." *sigh*) hub and I have been considering this parental offer.

The offer goes thus: parents get mortgage and buy place, hub and I pay them. We do not ever get house as our own, they are basically our landlords.

This offer comes with conditions. They will only buy a house not a flat, and they only have a certain amount of money, an amount which completely precludes living in Brighton.

*sigh again*

So we gallantly look at places around Brighton. And then weep into beer, for we do not wish to live on an estate, industrial or otherwise.

And then today my mother phoned and said that apprently it is ILLEGAL to do such a thing as they were offering anyway. And also you can't get a buy-to-let mortgage and then let it to members of your family.

So it seems it is all going to hell in a hand-cart anyway.

Good grief. This is what happens when I don't blog.

It is foolish.

I shall blog more.

9 comments:

Angela-la-la said...

Bugger. I thought it was all going so well for you.

The power of blog is what you need.

Miss Tickle said...

Dearest la-la, you are right. Just be prepared for my flurry of creativity! xxx

andre said...

sitting on wall... waiting... patiently.

Miss Tickle said...

Why thank you Mr A, your patience shall be rewarded. Oh yes. x

Anxious said...

I'm sure there must be a way of doing it. I've known students whose parents have bought a house for them and let it to them in similar circumstances... Maybe they were all petty criminals!

Miss Tickle said...

Hello Anx! Yes, I thought that too. My mother is going to have a meeting with a posh financial person this week, so maybe they will know some clever way... How is your house stuff going?

Anxious said...

No-one will buy our house!
So, not too well
But we've got somewhere to stay in Southampton, which is one part of the puzzle solved...

Ms Melancholy said...

illegal???? god, how fucking stupid is that? I can't help wondering whom this law is supposed to protect?

Miss Tickle said...

Ms M, I know, it's entirely crackers. Mum's going to have a financial meeting with somebody or other this week to see if there are loopholes. The problem, as far as I can gather, is that the law actually protects the tenants (sitting tenants rights etc) so if my parents were to default on the mortgage for any reason, the mortgage lender would have no right over us in the house.

Can't fathom why they won't let them do buy-to-let to family though...

Anx, someone will come along, your house looks so pretty! I hope you are feeling better. xxx