Sunday 2 September 2007

A whole lot of love

I recently read about a woman who has published her own teenage diaries.

I do not know if it is good, I just read about it.

I was a particularly angst-ridden, sensitive and overly thoughtful teenageer, so obviously I kept a diary.

From 1993-1999.

Obviously there is more than one actual book.

Since I am at the parental home alone and feeling nostalgic, I thought I would dig out my diaries and browse through them.

Things I recorded in the back of each one:

-A list of boys' and girls' names for my future children.
-A breakdown of my personality traits.
-A list of the personality traits I would like to have (honest, sweet, funny, unselfish, loyal: a list that an angel would have difficulty fulfilling.)
-A snog list (come one, you know you had one too.)
-A detailed and oddly literary description of each of my friends.
-A Useful Guide for parents from the point of view of a teenager.
-A christmas card list which included most members of the known universe.

But the main thing that struck me was that I fell in love at the drop of a hat. Every week. And each time, I was so sure I was completely in love.

At the age of 18, I became aware of this tendency, and began to refer to myself as an emotional tart. Entirely accurately. At one point at the end of my first term at university, I was claiming to love four people, and was going out with a fifth.

Now I am affectionate.

But really.

There is a limit.

Of five apparently.

Any advance on five? Anyone?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

but are you going to post some excerpts from the diaries?

how about something from the 'Useful Guide for parents from the point of view of a teenager'?

Anonymous said...

True story... in one two month period, not that long ago, 5, count'em, 5 different men used the L word at me. To be fair, I'm pretty sure most of them were just trying to get in my pants ... and no, this is not a usual state of affairs (!) for me. It was strange. I think I had some weird pheromone thing going on. It seems to have gone away again.

And yes... something from the Useful Guide would be... .well, useful.

Angela-la-la said...

Emotional tart? No! Just spreading the love :)

Miss Tickle said...

Edvard, I will indeed be putting the guide up. I'm sure you can hardly wait... (But no extracts I don't think, I do not want to alienate my dear readers forever.)

Bohemienne, that is jolly impressive. I am a bit bowled over. Well done, you minxy minx, you.

Angie, a positive slant, that is what I like to hear. x

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hee hee. I too did the list of people I love.
Don't think I ever got to more than five though.

Caroline said...

Yes I did the listing thing too - I had a 'wall of love' in the back of my diary! It was the back page, made to look like a wall and a heart drawn on ever other brick. Fabulous!
x

Miss Tickle said...

Jo, you are a better girl than I then.

Cas that is DEAD creative. I am a bit jealous I didn't think of it. x