Thursday 25 January 2007

Oh life!

Back to the usual extremely mundane, grindstone. Sigh.

It's a funny life I lead. Months of wandering from one office in central London to another, wearing business suits (BIGGER SIGH) picking up phones, putting them down again, then all of a sudden I'm exhorting a small group of people in a contained room to slide down a wall with their eyes closed describing their favourite food to the strangely hypnotic melodies of Nick Cave.

And I don't think I will ever get over the terror of putting something you have made in front of real actual people. People who might point and shout obscenities and laugh in a mocking way. Or who might even get up and just plain walk out. I want to eat my own arms at the thought.

Thankfully nobody did any of those things last night. Instead they laughed in a "how terribly funny and delightful" way. That was nice.

But, feedback forms. Do you know about these? They have started springing up at the end of shows over the past five years or so (maybe longer, but I've only been doing it five years). They are like little questionnaires that the audience fill in at the end. "Which bit did you like best?" "Which bit didn't quite work? "Which of the actors would you most like to snog?" That sort of thing.

They're ridiculous.

But for stupid and annoying funding reasons you have to do them. And when you read them they are always entirely polarised, completely different and nothing like anything any normal human beings say. Feedback forms. Utterly useless in every way.

Grr.

(A selection of useless feedback may follow. That was a warning.)

PS. HOORAY! I have discovered some Truth! You can discover it too here. I feel more at peace with my wibbly-wobbly existence now. And I might even enjoy the bastard business suits. (I shall certainly chuckle quietly in the knowledge that they cost me £7.99 from a Clapham charity shop. Ha ha! Take that capitalist flunkeys!)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, putting on a show and feedback forms appear to be even more frightening than publishing a blog post!

Miss Tickle said...

Oh yes, in comparison my blog is a warm and cuddly and friendly place and you are all like little fluffy creatures noodling around.

Lovely.

Miss Tickle said...

Oh, although obviously you're the dark and brooding manly melancholic fluffy creature listening to his ipod in the corner.

Anonymous said...

You have a new picture on your side bar ... it is a lady!

Miss Tickle said...

Yes. Will I get bashed now?

She is a hot lady though. I don't think anyone would argue with that.

If you would, you are mad!

Caroline said...

Yes hot lady, but slightly masculine. Nice stomach.

Miss Tickle said...

True. So is finding a masculine girl attractive cheating?

Although in a more recent photo...

http://www.elasticated.org/biographies.php?id=farewell

Still hot.

Ms Melancholy said...

The feedback form is a tool of the devil, designed to make you go home and weep. But in therapy training they generally say it to your face. Which is even more disconcerting.

Very nice blog, Miss Tickle, and an extra treat to bump into the lovely Caroline here too!

Miss Tickle said...

Hello Ms Melancholy! How lovely to have you here. Very much enjoyed stumbling across your blog earlier too.

Feedback to the face? *gulp* At least in theatre we have the decency to be hypocritical.

Anonymous said...

No. there is nothing wrong with pictures of ladies.

fiona said...

I can't believe her name is Frischmann. It's positively suggestive.

Caroline said...

Yip.
Stillhot.
Is that cheating? No. It's being realistic. There are lots of hot women in the world.

Angela-la-la said...

She's lovely in a very androgynous fashion.

(Not to be confused with andre-gynous)

Feedback forms: bleurgh.

Miss Tickle said...

Fiona: It is isn't it? I had thought of that, but now I will. Every time I think of her. Which is relatively often. *ahem*

Caroline: Phew. There are hot women in the world. And hot men. Hooray for them all!

FB: Hello! andre-gynous - tee hee hee...

Anonymous said...

SHUT UP!!!

Anonymous said...

I have been known to write feedback forms, for my work.

I'm sure you know this already, but the thing is it's quite possible to make sure you get the answers you require.

(I know, it's dastardly, but I am also creative so that makes it OK as it is a Force For The Good, I reckon.)

Cheerful One at work (can't log in, firewall, tsk).

Miss Tickle said...

I like the idea of being anonymously cheerful.

I am all up for fixing feedback! Our forms were very badly and hurriedly done, as my hub helpfully pointed out.

We shall know for next time...