Wednesday 15 August 2007

Goodbyes (with hugs)

Last night I said goodbye to my therapist.

This is not the title of a Smiths song, but is in fact My Real Life.

It was a bit harrowing.

So with the move to Brighton and the starting of the new life and all of that, there is some stuff in the old life that I have to be doing the finishing with.

This includes my therapist. Who is lovely.

A year and a half ago I was in a horrible place. I do not mean this geographically you understand. I mean it americanically. Like they say. "A bad place" and stuff.

So my bad place. It was horrid and dark and I did not think I would ever get out again. It got as dark and gloomy as dark places ever get.

I was scared.

I wanted help.

And help came in the form of a sofly spoken Australian lady.

For the past year and a half she has been gradually shedding light in my darkness, untangling my tangles and planting little shoots of spangles that flare up whenever the dark threatens to loom.

She has helped me profoundly.

I thank her.

And was very relieved when I was allowed to hug her goodbye (one never knows with all these therapy boundaries and whatnot).

Life is changing, la la la... (I am trying not to be nervous about it).

7 comments:

Stray said...

oh! Big cuddle Ms Tickle ...

I said goodbye to my therapist a few weeks ago. It was quite a surprise to both of us ... because I have been in some very very bad places quite recently, but suddenly over the last few months I have been able to switch lights on for myself.

She is my second proper therapist - the one before her was my therapist for over 4 years! It's so hard - you do miss them, and of course goodbye hugs are very important.

It is absolutely ok to send them an email or card every once in a while saying "Oh! You are very important and I have just realised another way in which I have changed through our work together so please be thanked again". They like that.

I still have regular contact with my rehab counselor (I did a really good job of finding my dark place) which is lovely - it's only in a group but it does really help with the transition.

What a big step, I hope your life changing is an adventure :)

Sx

Miss Tickle said...

Thank you lovely Stray. She did say that she would like to hear from me, which is nice and a bit comforting. And I might look for someone to tide me over for a few months in the new place. But it was more saying goodbye to her I think.

It is an awfully big adventure, as a small flying boy once said. xx

andre said...

It will be all right. x

Anxious said...

May the spangles continue to blast away the darkness, Miss Tickle.

:)

Miss Tickle said...

Andre: x

Merci Ms Anx, gotta love those spangles... x

Angela-la-la said...

I'm not a therapist, nor do I play one on TV but {{hugs}} are always good.

Eli Graham said...

Thanks for a great read.