Friday 17 August 2007

On Friday Afternoon.

Sometimes the unremitting, total and complete cynicism of others gets me down.

I wonder if it is a quality posessed solely by menopausal receptionists. Women who have spent their entire lives trapped behind a desk in front of which everyone walks. Watching others gaily and freely wandering around the open-plan office, exchanging pleasantries with their co-workers, occasionally making a cup of tea, or even popping out for a Special Cup Of Coffee.

The menopausal receptionist fumes. Quietly. And considers what colour she will paint her nails this evening. And whether her husband will once again awake from a nightmare at four o'clock in the morning, and cling to her like a child, preventing all chance of returning to that welcome unconsciousness that only sleep can provide her with.

She darkly refreshes Google, scouring the various travel-watch sites for any news of roadworks which will prevent her from visiting her elderly parents-in-law at the weeknd.

She smokes.

Benson and Hedges.

And considers that she could have been a hairdresser. Or a god.

6 comments:

Jude said...

I love this image. I don't necessarily get cynicism. I have my moments, but it's so depressing isn't it? Much better to think the best of people.

Or to wallow in the hopeless insecurity that only the one who seems to have been left out of the gang can feel.
x

Miss Tickle said...

Jude I entirely agree. It is much better to think the best of people. And to try to empathise. (A bit.)

Anonymous said...

And yet, if she were to smile from time to time, the others in the office would congregate around her desk. Poor lady. I know her well.

Miss Tickle said...

Bohiemienne it is sad, is it not, that we do know this lady well. I did, at least, tease a couple of smiles out of her.

Anonymous said...

cynicism is cruel.
A really liked this post, though. It's very easy to empathize with.

Miss Tickle said...

Hello narziss, thank you. And I agree, cynicism is cruel (and sometimes I also think it's a bit lazy - an easy fallback position. Much more challenging to keep one's eyes open to the lovely in life).