Tuesday 7 August 2007

How a young heart really feels

I lay the blame for my rampant romanticism squarely at the feet of Matthew Hooper (aged 7.)

One day, as I was doing something Very Important in Class 3 (I suspect it was Cutting, or indeed, Sticking) I was interrupted by David Sutton. David Sutton was older than me (I was later hopelessly in love with his brother, Richard Sutton). He told me that I had to go and look in a particular book on the book table because Matthew Hooper had left a present for me.

The book table ran along the whole length of the classroom wall and overlooked the playground. I spent a lot of time there, rootling through for treasures. I loved books and read an awful lot.

I began to search. I can't remember which book it was; the fact of the present rather blocked out that particular bit of information. In any case, a popular children's book. Let's say.

So I found it. And opened it. And inside, lying lined up between the front cover and the first page were three daisies.

From Matthew Hooper.

I took them very carefully and put them in the pocket of my school dress.

On arriving home that afternoon, I filled my flask's yellow lid with water and placed them gently in it.

Then for reasons I can't explain, I put it on the windowsill of the downstairs toilet.

I don't remember ever thanking Matthew Hooper, or in fact even speaking to him. What I do remember is that thereafter and for a while, at the end of playtime when the bell rang and we all had to stand still, he would make sure he was standing next to me. And he would hold my hand.

15 comments:

Caroline said...

Perhaps you can find him on Facebook ;-)

This is such a lovely story. I only hope that he hasn't devoted his life to a shrine of you in his garage.

You should find him.

;-)
x

Miss Tickle said...

I have Friends Reunited him actually. He now sells wardrobes. Or something. Ah! Love's young dream! x

Anonymous said...

That's the loveliest thing I've read in ages. Damn you, I've come in to work all prepared to be Kickarse today, and that's made me all squishy, for some reason.

Anonymous said...

That was me, by the way. Stupid bloody blogger comments.

Miss Tickle said...

Lovely Anna, I can only apologise for making you squishy. Grr! Grr! Did that help?

Miss Tickle said...

Lovely Anna, I can only apologise for making you squishy. Grr! Grr! Did that help?

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwww.

My 7 year old sweetheart, Jeb or Josh or Jared, used to chase me home from school, then laugh and try to kiss me if I was too slow.

Interestingly, 15 years later, I encountered him randomly at a party, and he tried to chase me and kiss me, with less laughter that time, though.

Angela-la-la said...

Have you friends reunited Richard Sutton? I do so like older men...

mike said...

Congratulations on winning Post of the Week!

Miss Tickle said...

Gosh! I won a thing! I never win anything! (Except on this blog it seems. This blog is my lucky winning thing.) Hoorah! Thank you Mike. xx

Anonymous said...

Awww, that's very sweet. And reminds me of a similar event from my childhood, which sadly didn't end so happily: I was told the crumpled piece of paper with the heart and the arrow through it and the "I love you" was from the love of my life, Robin G, and I was EVER SO HAPPY. Until it turned out to be a cruel hoax. [sigh]

Anonymous said...

How sweet.

Congrat's for winning this week -great post, made me smile.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on winning this week. Thats a lovely story.

Miss Tickle said...

Clare that is terrible! Bloody meanies.

Hello anonymous, thank you, glad it made you smile.

Hello Jude Jones, nice to have you here. And thank you.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Sorry I haven't been by for a while. I've been away and then my blog exploded.

That is so sweet.
My now 7 year old Miss E had a little boy called Nathan in her class who kept trying to kiss her when she was 6.
So she slapped him...

I was secretly kind of proud as he wasn't a romantic, more of a kiss em' whether they like it or not sort of child.

I hope he grows out of it.