Sunday 7 October 2007

Misspent yoof

The dancing child was called Angel.

And here are some more Names of Yoof I have recently stumbled upon in my new position as Drama Animateur (I do not understand this title. I do no drawing. I do theatre! Theatre, I say!) in a school near the seaside.

1) Paisley
2) Shelby
3) Harley
4) Jared
5) Jordan
6a) Taylor
6b) Tyler

I do not mind Jared, for I was once desperately in love with Jared Leto, although this was in the early nineties while he was the brooding and delicious Jordan Catalano, an angsty teenage girl's dream in My So Called Life, an excellent angsty and delicious teenage programme.

You would think that by association, I would not mind Jordan either. But this is not the case.

I will certainly add to this list as and when I come across more of the anthropological mysteries of East Sussex.

They do things differently here.

PS. I was delighted to discover last night that Robin Hood is back on our screens! It is a truly appalling programme. But the sweet joy of watching Jonas Armstrong far outweighs the crap acting, the thin narrative and the dire script. Not to mention the frequent and ditressing anachronisms. Two Ronnies quotes anyone?
PPS. It has just struck me that Jonas Armstrong and Jared Leto do not look dissimilar, and further, hub bears a passing resemblance to both! I have a type! A beardy type!

10 comments:

Angela-la-la said...

Shelby? Ewww! Much more Baltimore than Brighton.

I like that you're a Drama Animateur, it sounds much more professional than 'slightly bonkers theatre type bought in to help kids express their true, inner feelings' :) xx

Miss Tickle said...

Angie: I know, Shelby is dreadful isn't it. And sooo eighties. xx

pierre l said...

You liked "My So Called Life. Have you come across "Once and Again", by the same people. But you are probably too young to remember their previous series "thirtysomething". Three of my favourites thing on TV.
I have vague memories that the presenter of a programme could be un "animateur".

Stray said...

MSCL is genius. I have the box set of DVDs.

I am currently educating my new love about the genius of My So Called Life. Fab fab fab stuff.

*sigh*

I recently blogged that one of my becoming-a-step-parent-ish anxiety dreams included me about to give birth to a baby boy, declaring to my partner that I wouldn't call a child anything that didn't make a good name for a dog. By which, I guess, I mean something that you can shout at 100 decibels in the park without cringing. 'nuff said.

Fortunately lovely boy has a very good dog name. Phew.

In MSCL - which one were you?

Jon said...

What do these parents think when they call their children names such as Shelby?!

I don't think I've ever met a Shelby, but if I do I'm going to give him/her/it a nice warm cuddle.

Miss Tickle said...

PIerre, I do dimly remember thirty something, but not the other one, tell me more!

Stray, I was always Angela. I couldn't be anything else. Who were you? And my father-in-law's dog is called Muff, which often leads to them yelling "Muff!" in areas of natural beauty. Which makes me giggle.

John, do. Do do do. Poor Shelbys.

Stray said...

Oh! John, you are a sweetie.

Ms T, yes, I relate to parts of Angela ... and I think I have a little bit of Ricki going on as well. Isn't it just so beautifully painful?

My little sister was just like Angela's. My parents and I would be rowing about my latest rule breaking, or wrangling over curfews ... and she would be in the background saying "Look! Look! I can do a handstand!". It really makes me giggle.

It also makes me very very glad that I will never be 14 again. I think it should be compulsory viewing for parents of 12 year olds ... just to remind them how excruciating it all was.

pierre l said...

"once & Again", Herskovitz and Zwick as producers/creators, music by W.G Snuffy Walden, a bit like a soap (in that the plots continue and the characters develop between episodes), drama with quite a lot of comedy. It ran for 3 seasons and around 70 episodes. A lot of the same writers as My So Called Life... In other words, a really good series. I originally saw some of it on the now defunct ABC1 channel (used to be on Freeview). Excellent writing. Not officially available in the UK (Region 1 only). See imdb.com for more info.

Caroline said...

They are the names of my 7 children :)

x

Miss Tickle said...

Stray, SO beautifully painful. (I think I had a bit of Brian too, although please don't tell anyone...)

Thank you Pierre l, I shall have a look.

Caroline, I knew it! Your children are set up for life. xx