Monday 22 September 2008

The pity of it!

Our boiler is broken.

For some time it has been a little shall we say temperamental. Not the least of which eccentricities was a snapped off hot water thermostat, resulting in decidedly un-hot water.

In any case, on Sunday, it gave up the ghost. May it rest in peace.

Our landlord has been very good in arranging a plumber to come round and fix it. But not quite so good on the timings. The timings being two weeks' timings.

Two weeks with no hot water!

Now it is true, I am a little pre-menstrual. I will grant you that. I will grant anyone that. Probably with a great deal of sobbing "No, you're right, you're totally right.... *SNIFF*"

But the news of the lack of hot water has sent me into some kind of teary-melty-weepy puddlish lump.

All we have is a tiny sink.

A tiny and unfeasibly high sink. (I am, it is true, unfeasibly small. So it doesn't take an awful lot of height to make a sink unfeasible for me. If you know what I mean. And why shouldn't you? I have made it clear in a number of excellent sentences.)

And a kettle.

Anyway. I looked at tin baths on ebay.

It is a possibility.

Oh I am all of a nonsense!

Dear reader, oh!

*siiiiiiiiiigh*

And also,

*sniiiiiiiiff*

8 comments:

XXYXX said...

Sometimes, you can be so like Hullaballoo's separated at birth smaller twin sister. What with the premenstruals and quite possibly postmentstruals and occasionally inbetweenie mentstruals.

But no hot water.
Now that IS a drama.

Unfeasibly high sink + unfeasibly tiny sink + unfeasibly small Lucy = an equation of comic short into tall not going.

It has all the ingredients to a comic drama … but at least you get to play the leading lady!

XXYXX said...

Sorry, I meant, Fernanda.

"Lucy", really, who'd have that as a name.

Jude said...

Oh Miss T. I feel for you. Maybe there are Turkish baths you can visist. In the nicest possible Hampstead sense.

x

Meesha said...

That is annoying--you have a right to be upset! Good luck on finding the washbasin. What about joining a gym for a month and using their showers? I finally did that once when the room I was renting didn't have a shower and I got tired of washclothes and washing my hair in the sink.

Stray said...

Lovely Ms Tickle, this, contrary to advertising, is what those month-long-trial memberships at luxury health clubs are actually for.

Anonymous said...

All would be well if you had a shower in your larder. Take note, dear one.

Luxury gyms, pah! Municipal baths will let you wash for £1.99, If you have a narrow bath and use unperfumed soap and a raggly towel.

Oh, I forgot, you live by the sea. How about a quick dip, or is that not for faint hearte southern types (I love teasing you xx)

Hulla
xx

Jen said...

I'm kind of thinking there's a bit too much sniffing going on under the circs.

Will be wearing a peg on my snozzle until further notice, seeing as we share a county ;0)

Sounds utter torture actually...

Eloise said...

Sniffing is entirely rational and reasonable. Unless you're somewhere hot, which we ain't, no hot water is hellish.

On the other hand, is it weird of me to think that owning a tin bath would be totally cool? Especially one for actually having a bath in, not putting flowers in or somesuch nonsense... it would be a talking point at least?