Monday 15 September 2008

What's in a name?

Now look.

I have a name. Like an actual name. The one that most people call me.

I know you must be disappointed, after all this time. You must feel as though I have been pulling the wool over your eyes.

I'm so sorry.

Here is my quandary: I have an interesting and vaguely amusing post, but it is based on my actual name.

So.

I have come up with a plan, a plan of disguise and cunning to conceal my true identity.

Here goes.

Imagine my first name is the shortening of a name that can be shortened. As "Chris" is to "Christopher".

So if we work here with the name that you believe my name to be, I am "Miss". This is what I am called.

However, there are some people, in this hypothetical situation, whose name is in fact "Missifer", for example, and who occasionally shorten their name to "Miss".

(I was christened "Miss", but some people were christened the longer version "Missifer" and only use "Miss" as a shortened version.)

Are you following?

So.

Again.

Hub came back from work and told me that today he took a booking for a woman called "Missifer Tickle" (please try and keep up). I admit, I felt a little as though my identity had been threatened. And so obviously I googled her.

She is a delight! An author no less!

And here is a selection of her works:

First Cook Book
by Missifer Tickle

It's Fun to Cook!
by Missifer Tickle

Romance in Medieval England
by Missifer Tickle

The Seven Champions of Christendom (1596/7)
by Missifer Tickle

Sir Bevis of Hampton in Literary Tradition
by Missifer Tickle

I realise that now, you could scurry off and do some extraordinary googling, and like the clever sausages you are, you could work out my name.

But I hope you don't.

Mostly because my parallel-y metaphor-ish smokescreen was ever so complicated to work out.

But I thought it was worth it for The Seven Champions of Christendom (1596/7).

8 comments:

XXYXX said...

Oh you are so very jolly clever - or maybe it helped a thicko like me to to know you're real name before hand.

Still, how very brave of you ... we can all work out, Lucy or should I say Lucifer! Ha HA!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Bobo, I can see the irony in a publisher accepting a work on Christendom from a dude called Lucifer NOT!

Au contraire, you wouldn't be so obvious as to put the 'fer' in its correct position in your real name.

And from that I surmise your real name to be Fernanda, from the old German, meaning adventurous bold journey. Most likely, you prefer to be called Fern Tickle.

Am I right? Am I?

My mum gave us all names that couldn't be shortened. Then she nicknamed me kipper. Mothers eh?

Anonymous said...

Or Ten-Tickle, by those you are closest to tee hee.

Miss Tickle said...

Lovely lovely lovely Mcbobo and Hullaballouhaha, I want to thank you for your mischief and humour, you utterly bouyancy'd my spirits when they were flagging a little today.

I shall immediately adopt the name Fernanda.

It is glorious. xxx

Mr Farty said...

I'm still completely at a loss, Miss*.

Although I did get a shock when the last commenter before me in another blog today had the exact same name as my Favourite Niece.

I'm so glad my blog name is totally different from my real name.

* May I still call you Miss?

DJ Kirkby said...

No way can I work it out...not even going to try...the widget brought me here btw.

Miss Tickle said...

Mr Farty you may of course call me Miss! I am honoured.

Hello dj kirkby, and welcome to my little worldlette! That widget is a marvel isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Do tell, in your alter ego as Fernanda, do you require to wear different costumes and adopt curious mannerisms?

What does weird cat make of it all?

Just curious really ;))

Hulla
xx