Monday 13 October 2008

The Man

I like to think the best of people I come into contact with. I look for reasons that might cause people to behave in destructive or painful ways, I am interested in where they are coming from, I genuinely believe in human vulnerability and the bollocks we construct to help ourselves through that.

But sometimes, I wonder if I am wrong.

Sometimes, when hub is railing against the man (as he can often be found doing) and I am saying things like "Well maybe the man just hasn't had a very good day", or, "Maybe he had an argument with someone he cared about last night", sometimes, a little tiny shadow of doubt trips across my consciousness, scattering question-mark shaped confetti as it goes.

Sometimes I can't help but consider that maybe the man is doing really quite well actually. And can have chinese takeaway whenever he wants. And can afford to go to his friends' birthday parties. And has enough money to have, say, a dog.

Maybe the man is sitting comfortably on a sofa somewhere chuckling to himself.

The last week has been very odd. The landlord raised our rent by 10%, then when we said there was no way we would be able to stay, he lowered it a bit. Then when we said that actually we needed a bit more time because giving us a week to decide what we wanted to do felt a teensy bit like short notice, he lowered it again.

Which makes me think that everything he said last week about fixed rate mortgage coming to an end blah blah, cost of replacing the boiler blah blah, forced to do it blah blah, might not really have been entirely accurate.

I feel shaken by this. And we still don't know what to do. Because we have to let him know by 9am on Thursday otherwise he will "retract all offers" and while we can afford the rise in rent as it now stands, and we know we still want the flat, we're frankly not altogether sure we want the landlord.

I feel oddly naive.

A bit of a mug.

I just want to feel safe, y'know? Secure and settled for a bit without the fear that things are going to be pulled from under our feet at any second.

But I'm not sure I trust that man anymore.

5 comments:

Jon said...

At the end of the day he's a human being, and some humans are driven by money. Even if he is normally a sound guy, with Christmas approaching the lure of a little extra cash can make people act in strange ways.

He has tested the water with you now, probably hoping that you would simply say 'ok' and part with the cash. Now that he hasn't really got anywhere, maybe you should take the opportunity to say 'Look, we like living here and we love having you as a landlord, but we can't afford to raise any more than the current raise in our rent, and if it dfoes raise again we may be forced to move'.

I doubt he will want to go through the effort of finding new tenants just for that tiny bit of money.

Good luck with him.

pierre l said...

I am very sorry to read about your predicament, Miss Tickle. It seem to me that one possible solution would be to renew for now, and, about one month before you have to give notice or renew, start looking for somewhere else. That way, you are in control.

Good luck and many hugs.

Anonymous said...

Hugs, my dear. I hope it resolves it itself soon. Hulla
xx

Anonymous said...

I have written something for you over at mine. xx

Anonymous said...

How are you guys getting on with the man? I have been thinking of you and sending hugs.

hulla
xx