Wednesday 25 April 2007

Being little.




















On the bus this morning there was a little girl and her mum, who was reading to her. The bus lurched forward, and the mum hit her head on a pole.

"Ouch," she said.

"Sore?" said the little girl.

"I banged my head," said her mum.

"Ouch," said the little girl.

Pause.

"Kiss it better?" said the little girl.

"I'll be alright," said her mum.

Then I noticed what she was reading. This book was my absolute favourite when I was little. The most extraordinary lump formed in my throat. It was all I could do not to leap into the seat next to them and listen along.

"Moving Molly". The book that inspired me, age three, to write my name on the wall of our home just before we moved, then blame it on my eight-month old sister. It's a classic. Read it now.

5 comments:

Angela-la-la said...

Bathwater's hot, seawater's cold. Ginger's kittens are very young but buster's getting old.

I love Shirley Hughes.

Timbo said...

Aww! Kiss it better!

I've never read the book, or heard of it, but will have to remember this for when I have little ones of my own.

Ms Melancholy said...

Oh, I think you should have shoved the little girl out of the way and snuggled in there. How sweet!

Anonymous said...

I have ordered said book

Miss Tickle said...

Hello everyone. It is raining. I like it.

(Ms M: I would have shoved the girl, but she was in a pushchair. *sigh*)