Thursday 24 May 2007

Scilly












Have you heard tell of a place called the Isles of Scilly?

It sounds unlikely, I know, but it is true.

A group of tiny islands 28 miles south-west off the coast of Cornwall. And Heaven. To me at least.

We went every year when I was little. And when I was bigger. And I still try to go every year now. (My parents have a little house there - they rent it out.)

In Scilly I learned how to jump (did you know you have to learn?), ate my first fried egg and watched my youngest sister walk for the first time. I also smoked my first cigarette and did some rude stuff that I am far too discreet to mention here with a boy for the first time.

It is a place of seminal moments.

This year I am not going to succeed in going because I am moving to Brighton (have I mentioned that?) This makes me sad (the not-going-to-Scilly, not the moving, that is ace!)

So, dear readers, if you are looking for a holiday destination this year, go to Scilly! And then tell me all about it, so I can live vicariously through you.

PS. You will only like it there if you like sleepy Cornish sort of places with pubs and walking.
PPS. Me an' hub got married there.
PPPS. I am not getting paid by the Tourist Board, it is honestly just lovely.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've never been but have always wanted to! it looks so lovely and cool! every time i here the name Isles of Scilly i think of sand dunes and salt water and jelly fish, of ships and wrecks and all that jazz. I read a book that was based there in the early 1900s and fell in love with it! *sighs* at least you have had the luxury of going there. xxxxxxxxx

Angela-la-la said...

I want to go just cos it has such a lovely name and I want to say I've been to scilly for a holiday.

Miss Tickle said...

Rachel it is lovely. You were right.

Ang it is quite good saying that. Although people do tend to look at you oddly. But that isn't really unusual for me.

Anonymous said...

I live there, wonderful place.

Do you look at the "scillywebcam" all sorts of different pictures from around the islands, updated daily. If not, Google it.

Stay well. Merryn Smith

Miss Tickle said...

Hello Merryn, I do look at Scillywebcam, whenever I'm missing it. Which is quite often. I'm very jealous of you living there. Give it my love.