Thursday 6 March 2008

Tig

Well. Just as I was wondering about what on the face of this wide and encompassing earth I could blog, along comes Cliff in a most helpful fashion and tags me.

Like in the playground with kiss chase.

But no actual kissing.

Or in fact virtual kissing.

Which is probably for the best since Cliff and I are only newly acquainted and I have learnt my lesson about scaring boys away by snogging them too soon.

Or at all.

And now I'm married anyway.

Which is great!

So.

The meme.

(If any of you are still with me.)

I take a book I am reading, turn to page 123 and then tippety type the next three sentences. For your amusement and delictation.

Now I want you to ensure that you take my current reading list as a measure of me doing my homework, and not as a measure of my mental health.

Please.

1. Mad Bad and Sad by Lisa Appignanesi

Doctor's, in Alice's experience, were the only men who ever laid hands on her body. The touch could be restorative, but it was also humiliating as she made clear in a letter of 1886 to William when she once more needed help:

It may seem supine to you that I don't descend into the medical arena, but I must confess my spirit quails before any more gladiatorial encounters.

- Ten points for anyone who can a) pronounce her surname or b) explain to me the meaning of supine as used in this sentence.

2. Carl Rogers: A Critical Biography by David Cohen

He had no intention of cutting back on therapy, for he saw the counselling room as his laboratory, and said that his seven to ten clients a week gave him most of his new ideas.

More stress on empathy.

In the negotiations before he was appointed, Rogers had asked for the university to provide some backing for reseach - and help in raising money.

- Is "more stress on empathy" strictly a sentence being as it has no verb?

3. The Essential Difference by Simon Baron-Cohen

So competition in systemizing could lead a person to be the best at making a plough or a spear, a musical instrument or a home, thus achieving a higher social rank. Some tasks that require good systemizing, such as tracking animals or inventing a new tool, take a long time. They might take days, months or years.

- Mostly I am just wondering if Simon Baron-Cohen is in any way related to Sasha Baron-Cohen. Ten points for anyone who can clear this up. And tell me exactly how long it would take to invent a new tool.

So, who shall my victims be?

In a totally non-kissing way (I am COMPLETELY professional) I tag Caroline, Chasing Sheep (all of you, there's no escape!) and Bedside Crow (Ha ha! He is a bookseller, he will be reading LOADS of books!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simon Baron-Cohen = Sasha Baron-Cohen's brother
They have more than that in common, Sasha B-C went to Cambridge too...

Anonymous said...

Sorry... make that his cousin

Mr Farty said...

Bugger, Anon beat me to it.

Depends wot your noo tool is for, innint man? Y'know wot I'm sayin'?

I was tagged with something similar in January. That was fun!

Ms Melancholy said...

Oooh! How exciting! I shall meet the challenge just as soon as I can x

Miss Tickle said...

Anonymous, you are clearly a genius researcher. Quick work.

Mr Farty, you are totally filthy. It is great.

Ms M, I look forward to it... x

JonathanM said...

I am on the case.

Jon said...

I have actually met the chap you know, he was grrrrrrrreat! Like Tony the Tiger, only with less stripes.

And no roaring.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh 'Tony the Tiger, only with less stripes' sounds like the best description ever.

H
xx